This is a perfectly balanced plate.
10 brown cremini mushrooms
1 tbsp oil
1 can (5.5 oz/156 ml) tomato paste
2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
2 tsp +1 tbsp cider vinegar
2 cups water
2 cans (19 oz/540 ml each) lentils
1⁄4 cup vegan mayonnaise
1⁄2 tbsp maple syrup, optional
3 cups shredded coleslaw mix
6 burger buns, toasted
- Roughly dice mushrooms. Heat oil in a large fry pan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms; stirring occasionally, cook 4 min or until they soften and shrink.
- Reduce heat to medium. Measure out 1⁄4 cup seasoning; add to pan. Stir in tomato paste, sugar, and 2 tsp vinegar. Add water; stir to combine.
- Drain and rinse lentils, then add to pan. Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 5 min.
- Meanwhile, make coleslaw. In a large bowl, whisk together remaining seasoning (about 2 tbsp), mayonnaise, 1 tbsp vinegar, and maple syrup, if using. Add coleslaw mix, stirring to combine.
- Spoon lentil mixture over bottom buns. Top with coleslaw, then cover with the top bun.