8 slices whole-wheat bread, toasted, crusts trimmed
1 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
8 oz (227 g) sliced mushrooms
1 can (14 oz can/ 398 ml) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
2 cups shredded cabbage
1 carrot, grated
- Tear toast into small pieces. Whirl in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Set aside.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion, mushrooms and Seasonings. Stir often for 6-8 minutes, until mushrooms are soft. Drain any remaining liquid, as the mixture should be as dry as possible.
- Pour mixture into food processor and add beans. Pulse until combined, but slightly chunky. Scrape into a bowl and stir in breadcrumbs and feta. Form into patties. If you have time, refrigerate patties a few hours before cooking so they hold their shape.
- Heat frying pan over medium heat. Add patties and cook for 5 minutes, then carefully and gently flip over. Continue to cook 5 more minutes.
- For the slaw, stir cabbage and carrots with Creamy Ranch Dip. Spoon over cooked burgers and serve.